Monday, August 23, 2010

Diaries of a desperate novice bread baker, part 1

"A book of verses underneath the bough/ a jug of wine, a loaf of bread - and thou" - The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam

I've never baked bread before, and just recently decided that it was time to learn.With the help of this marvelous book, I plan to become a skilled, experienced bread baker. Homemade bread (done properly, of course) tastes better and is better for you, anyway.
I will be keeping a photographic diary of my bread-baking attempts. Using the above book, some specialized tools and my baker's intuition (as well as frequent, fervent prayer!), I hope to bring off my first ever bread loaf successfully.

So, here we go. Among other ingredients, utensils and things needed for this endeavor, I will need:
unbleached bread flour (King Arthur brand is my favorite)


Fresh and Instant Yeast

















A Bread Peel - this one is $10.00 from Bed, Bath and Beyond




















A Baking Stone - this is $20.00 by Oneida (yes, I have used it once or twice)
















An Apron - this one is made of heavy Denim, my favorite for baking




















Now to head to the kitchen!

To be continued...

1 comment: