And there are fewer tea pastries more delightful than authentic, English tea scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam.
Tea Scone Recipe
Makes about 24
- 1 lbs. butter
- 5 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tbls. and 2 Tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup whatever fruit desired (currants are usual, but I've made these with 1/2 cup dried cherries and 1/2 cup chocolate chips - to die for!))
- 1 extra egg, and water (for egg wash)
In a small to medium mixing bowl, mix the wet ingredients together, then add to the dry ingredients. Mix carefully until dough forms - do not over-stir!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
Add the dry fruit and mix in thoroughly. Roll out on a very lightly floured surface, and cut scones using a round cookie cutter (medium size). Lay rounds on a baking sheet, evenly spaced.
In a small bowl, beat the extra egg with the water. Brush the tops of the scones with the egg wash - be careful not to get them too soggy!
Bake the scones for approx. 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown.
They can be stored in an airtight container in a cool dry place for about a week
Serve at a tea party with friends, or keep to have with a cup of tea and a Henry James or Jane Austen novel on a rainy day.