Thursday, March 24, 2011

A brief yarn about knitting

"The web of our life is a mingled yarn, good and ill together." - Shakespeare




In case you can't tell by my previous posts, I'm (slightly) obsessed with knitting and yarn. I justify it by quoting sections from Proverbs 31 in the Bible (you know, about not eating the bread of idleness and working with your hands willingly... :-)), and by considering that at least it's a productive use of wasted time.

Anyway, with that disclaimer, I will now proceed to briefly discuss... knitting.

Any fellow knitters who have not discovered Ravelry.com are really missing out. It's a free online community for fellow fiber-arts friends (say that ten times fast). It has lots of groups, patterns, references and resources available, plus gives you a chance to showcase your achievements with needles n' yarn.

Another fun knitting pattern website that I love is Knitty.com, which is where I found the Shipwreck Shawl pattern below (I have the yarn for it, and some of the beads - the rest are backordered - and am only waiting for the right moment when my knitting to-do list clears up to embark upon it). They have four levels of difficulty for their patterns: Mellow, Tangy, Piquant and ExtraSpicy. As you may guess, Mellow patterns are for the true beginner, whereas Extraspicy may make you lose your mind.

Also, because I'm truly in love with the colors I've blended for the Shipwreck Shawl, I'm going to put up a few pictures:

the yarn is a blueish teal, but just looks blue in the picture

the beads are a matte emerald green

If you haven't knitted before, it's never too early to get addict-, er, get started. I dare you to tell me to my face that knitting's for grandma (but be warned - insulting a person carrying knitting needles is not very wise).



"She seeks wool and flax, and works willingly with her hands... she looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness." - Prov. 31:13, 27 (ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment