I got the inspiration for this dessert after one of the ladies at my bible study made and brought something very close to this. I made a couple of tweaks to her original recipe.
You will need:
- 1 white angel food cake (either buy one pre-made, or bake one beforehand)
- 1 3 oz. package Orange Jell-O
- about 1/2 cup orange juice (fresh-squeezed is best)
- 1 8-oz. container Cool Whip
- 1 15-oz. can mandarin orange segments, drained
Cut the angel food cake into slices and line a baking dish with them. Make the Jell-O according to the directions on the package, then pour it over the cake in the pan, making sure the pieces are completely drenched. Allow to cool in the fridge for about 1/2 hour.
For the topping, mix the container of Cool Whip with the orange juice thoroughly ( use enough juice to thin the consistency of the Cool Whip, but not make it too soupy). Drain the can of mandarin oranges and lay the pieces evenly on top of the cake. Spread the cream topping evenly over everything, and leave it in the fridge for at least one and a half hours.
As far as desserts go, this one is on the light side and delightfully refreshing - perfect for summer.