Friday, May 11, 2012

Birthday and Mother's Day Macarons

"Though...not what I ought to be, not what I might be, not what I wish or hope to be, and not what I once was, I think I can truly say with the apostle 'by the grace of God, I am what I am.'" - John Newton

"A mother is a person who, seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie." - Tenneva Jordan


This is a busy weekend for my family - a birthday on Friday, another birthday Saturday and Mother's day Sunday. Because we like to bundle things together, I guess.

So for this momentous weekend, I made two different types of macarons...


Lime-flavored shells with Lemon Curd filling...



...and Chocolate shells with Chicken Mole filling.

While the shells may not be the prettiest result, none of the macarons combinations I've made before have tasted this good.

Chocolate Shells

The chocolate shells were a bit different - the method for baking them was different from the regular type.

Lime Shells

The Lime shells have lime oil and green coloring - even a couple of days after baking, they're still fragrant.

Lemon Curd

Lemon curd is very simple to make, and should be kept in the fridge. The cool temperature enhances the taste.

Chicken Mole

Chicken Mole is a Mexican combination of chicken, chocolate, hot peppers, spices and honey. When make this filling, run the mixture through a blender until smooth before using with macarons. Store in the fridge, but allow to come to room temperature when putting the macarons together.

Happy Mother's Day! (and Happy Birthday to anyone else who has a birthday this weekend!)

No comments:

Post a Comment