Saturday, November 10, 2012

The Robert Frost Shawl

"Whose woods these are I think I know; his house is in the village, though. He will not see me stopping here to watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it queer to stop without a farmhouse near, between the woods and frozen lake, the darkest evening of the year.
He gives his harness bells a shake to ask if there is some mistake, the only other sound's the sweep of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep/ and miles to go before I sleep." - "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening," Robert Frost

I finished the shawl for my mom, which was described in the last knitting progress post. I was working blind, since the project involved combining elements of two different shawl knitting patterns, so I had no idea what it would look like when it was finished.

The result was surprising:

the shawl in progress

While working on the beaded eyelets, I noticed that they resembled snowflakes, and that the edging looked like a forest. It immediately brought my favorite Robert Frost poem to mind.

detail of the shawl, blocking




one corner of the shawl






My mom has been watching my progress on it via pictures, and is excited for it to be done. I'm currently debating whether to send it to her right away, or keep it for her Christmas present - probably the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment